It’s fall y’all! I mean, OFFICIALLY fall. Our first day of the season here in Maryland was rung in with sunny skies and cool breezes. It could not have been more perfect. The weather just makes everything more enjoyable, doesn’t it?
My little family made the best of it – starting our day with chicken chores, scooting over to the Apple Festival in the afternoon and watching the sunset over a bonfire at night. We especially enjoy this season for the festivals and food (pumpkin rolls, apple cider doughnuts and pecan pies!! YUM.) The highlight of our day was picking out fresh apples and making our own scarecrow, Sam. It was pretty hilarious watching my husband carry Sam around the festival the remainder of the day! The boys got a kick out of it and are so proud of our project.
We snacked on the apples last night and just lavished in their crispness! I was eager when I woke this morning to eat some more!! So I chopped one up, cooked it in my oatmeal and added a little cinnamon on top. It was so delightful!! Not really a recipe per se, but an idea worth sharing. If you love oatmeal in the morning like I do, this will be a real treat!
What You Need (for 1 serving):
- 1/3 cup oatmeal
- ½ apple, chopped (I used an autumn crisp; but it’s your choice)
- 2-3 sprinkles of cinnamon
- 1 tbsp of flaxseed, ground
- 1 tsp sugar
- dash of milk, optional
What To Do:
- Mix oatmeal with 2/3 cups of water. Heat in microwave safe bowl for 1 ½ minutes.
- Add chopped apple. Stir. Heat for another 30 seconds.
- Top with cinnamon, flaxseed and sugar. Stir to combine.
- If the oatmeal is thicker than you would prefer, add a little dash of milk to thin it out.
- Eat and enjoy!
If you’re looking for more apple recipes check out the Apple Oatmeal Cookies I whipped up the other day. They were really yummy and used very little sugar! Keeping our waistlines in mind, I will be posting more health conscience fall favorites soon!